It’s been two weeks since I’ve been dancing around this post and whether or not to do it, for two reasons: 1) I’ve already done so many lip posts here, here, and here, and 2) the world wide web is now packed with ‘How to get Kylie Jenner’s lips?’. But since being redundant and slightly monkey-see-money-do has never stopped me from anything, I figured why the hell not join on this over-penciled BOLD LIPS obsession and 2014 fall trend.
(1) The BOLD LIPS Trend. The makeup trend is still going strong, if not stronger this cold season. The runways were packed with models in bold berry lips, red pouts, 70’s divalicious empowering strong colored mouths, so I’m guessing we’re still getting a green light on this look for both evening as well as daytime. Still, I’d not only blame the designers, who, let’s be honest here, sent models down the runways in knickers, but you don’t see us going to work in our underwear – but I will give courtesy to also Kylie Jenner’s pout & Rihanna’s bold lips trademark for this. The latter has been doing this look since forever, and while she’s stunning with a bare face, she does not shy away from a full-on make up, or – when she probably gets too lazy to go full-faced, but still wants a bit of glam – BAM! she does the bold lips thing. Everywhere. From daytime, to evening, to the beach, to swimming, to lazying around, the girl is rocking this look better than anyone. (2) The OVERLINED LIPS makeup obsession. Or trend. Courtesy of the latest make-up-trendsetter – Kylie Jenner. Dayum! The 17 year old has been subject to tons, tons of internet controversy over her lips: did she get lip injections, or is her pout so perfect due to a few makeup tricks?
While I couldn’t care less what she did, I tell you one thing is certain. After watching a few youtube tutorials on lips’ makeup I think we might be on to something: a new lip-liner trend and comeback. Or a new lips-makeup technique if you will, that was basically started by this famous teen. To get that Kylie Jenner’s lip-makeup or perfect pout one must:
- apply foundation on lips
- slightly overline them
- fill them in with the lip pencil
- apply the lipstick
- apply lipstick again (in matte if you’re after that 90s look)
- you can complete the whole look with a cat-eye eyeliner.
Next spring it’ll all be about natural faces and clean make-up, so this over-made-up face may just have its last breath. It seems like everything these days is about strong eyebrows, cat-eyes, contouring AND now overpenciled bold lips. Yes it all sounds so vulgar, I’ll give you that, but it’s not really. Its about getting the perfect face on, with specific techniques that we seem to borrow from celebs’ makeup artists. Well… we try. Whether that’s good or bad I have no idea. It’s neither. It’s just makeup, and fashion. It’s fun. While I’ve rarely been comfortable with bold lips for daytime, even evening sometimes, I will definitely step out of my comfort zone for this and give it a try.
Truth is for street style & daytime looks, bold lips can be the only style gimmick you choose to do to dress up a look, or give more trendiness to a plain or simple outfit, to a basic grey jumper for example, to a sporty jeans style. I mean it can be a bit overwhelming or too much, but it’s also empowering, and truth is we love how it looks on these famous faces, so why the hell not. In terms of color:
- Berry lips, or darker lips are a massive trend this season.
- Red lips (in any color palette) are still a classic.
- Nude’ish brown hues – think Kylie Jenner’s lips – are making a strong comeback. They are the 90s major makeup grungy glam look, so… there’s that.
Let’s have a look at some beautiful faces and perfect pouts out there and get some inspiration. The weekend’s practically around the corner so… we might just start overlining. Or not. We’ll see. What do you think: is there a slight overlined-lips obsession happening, and are you on board? OR bold lips – no overlining – is enough of a statement?