Dark LIPS, chokers, leather trousers, spiked anything, goth glam styles. No this is not a BDSM sequence. Or a Vampire series sequel. Nor is it a trip down memory lane. Nope. This is 2013 -2014 biggest makeup & beauty trend ever. Or at least since those 90′s. DARK LIPS.
For the past year or so red lipstick started getting a hue darker every time a celeb donned it on the red carpet, until wearing black (or close to it anyway) lipstick was the coolest thing eva’. The way I see it, we could blame this uber cool yet not-so-flattering-on-everyone-beauty-trend on either Rihanna or Azealia Banks, or on today’s hipster kids who missed out on the 90′s and wanna jump on the wagon we drove in the 1st place. Truth is… however you look at the dark lips makeup trend, you’re bound to love it and hate it at the same time, simply because when you see hot celebs and flawless faces rocking it you’re in it for its glam and beauty. You’re hooked. But, in my case, when I try to replicate this mysterious goth sophisticated classy look on myself I end up looking 10 years older & pissed off on the whole planet. So I hate it.
You know they say if you clash styles you’ll get a more eclectic sophisticated look… well, let me just say this: it’s not working. Dark Lips + I = beauty disaster. Still, giving up has never been my thing, so I’m not about to start off right now. After reading tons of beauty websites, watching makeup tutorials one thing they all preach is – everyone looks great in dark lips (cause of the mystery sophisticated factor bla bla bla) but all is a matter of choosing the right shade to go with your skin tone. As for the beauty rules… I have no idea which goes with what, but common sense and a bit of testing always go a long way.
- if your lips are darker keep your eyes minimal (mascara)
- flawless skin
- for daytime – make it all about the lips
- for evening – you can go full-on makeup, even dark eyes and lips, but tasteful. Style coordinate them with what you wear. 90′s attires (chokers, leathers, ripped jeans, boots) might make you look like a wild kid, which is fine if you’re 17. Not if you’re 30. Although this girl looks fantastic, so I guess it’s all a matter of taste and personal style.
When wearing this trend, it’s best to go on the chic mystery lane rather then too rocknroll. Unless you can totally pull it off, and it’s part of who you are, then fuck all the rules and be yourself.
- Dark lips tend to look fantastic with white or light clothes and a bit more glamorous rich looks, because of the contrast or perhaps cause the 2 go hand in hand with the strength and power they both exude.
- Pastels and short flirty skirts or cutoffs give a bit of naughty schoolgirl vibe to it all.
- Jeans and sexy tops with high heels are very urban glam.
- Simple cocktail or red carpet dresses are fabulous when worn with dark lips, especially black or light colored dresses.
So yes… dark lips are not right down on everyone’s street, and not that easy to pull off… but a bit of testing and trying out looks might be well worth it. Cause you know… we all have in us a bit of that wonder woman, mysterious famme fatale who looks smoking hot in dark lips and expensive furs… Ah… it’s worth a shot, right?